terça-feira, 30 de novembro de 2010

My favourite piece of art: Pride and Prejudice

I love literature! My aunt is a Portuguese teacher and since I was a little girl she used to give me books as presents. Probably because of that, I love reading. My favourite writer is Jane Austen. She was an important English novelist. Her most famous book – which I like the most – is Pride and Prejudice.
It`s about the life of Elizabeth Bennet, the second eldest of five daughters. The Bennets live in Hertfordshire, a place near London. They are not a rich family, so the mother thinks only about marrying her children. Her older sister and best friend, Jane Bennet, is the most beautiful woman in town. She is also incredibly kind.
Elizabeth is probably the only intelligent girl in Hertfordshire. Instead of thinking about marriage as the other girls, she prefers reading. However, everything changes when Mr. Bingley and his friend Mr. Darcy, two handsome rich men, decide to visit the town.
Finding Mr. Darcy an arrogant unpleasant proud man, Elizabeth immediately dislikes him. Besides, she hears him talking to Mr. Bingley and discovers that his opinion about her is not very nice. The book is full of smart dialogues and has an ironic vision of the situations, which gives us an amazing wish to never stop reading it.
What amazes me is that Pride and Prejudice is not just a love story. It`s about moral questions as vanity, politeness, way of behaviour, pride and prejudice. And, above all, it`s an intelligent critical story.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário